Sunday, April 19, 2015

Team Pinchback

I didn't sleep but a wink. It wasn't just excitement; it was the remembering of all the moments that led us to this place - mine and his.

I spent years praying for babies that wouldn't come and a solid six months living under a suffocating cloud of defeat. It is the only time in my life that I let the pain win and allowed hope to walk out the door. I thank God for the people who didn't give up. The people who continued to pray and shoulder the burden when I couldn't.

I wouldn't go back to tell myself anything. The sharpened character that emerged from that fire is  a treasure that cannot be priced. God redeems. The enemy was successful in stealing my joy and purposeful in his pursuit, but he is no match for God's love or creativity.

I jumped out of bed without an alarm and, excitedly, rushed downstairs to get the boys up. LJ, uncharacteristically, popped out of bed and said, "Today is the big day!" As Sweet Boy climbed down his ladder and, sleepily, sat on my lap, the first tears flooded my eyes. God would have answered all of my prayers with one adoption. He would have satisfied my gut cry with one gift. Yet, my lap was heavy with my third.

More than me, this day was about him.

As we approached the courthouse, he looked up and said, "Mom, we've been here before, remember?" Yes. The past 15 months were booked solid with ridiculous red tape and multiple DNA tests.

For the first three months Sweet Boy lived with us, he held a bucket on his lap in the car because every other trip resulted in anxiety induced throw-up. He could barely speak without stutter and nearly every conversation was overtaken by tears. He didn't love; he didn't care. He was so fearful of not meeting our expectations that he self-disciplined and hit himself into submission. His story is so pervaded with neglect, I am astounded that he survived.

When it came to Sweet Boy's dark corner of the world, the enemy was near successful in destroying his life, but he is no match to God's power.

God redeems; he makes a home for the lonely (Psalm 98:6).

I had "Team Pinchback" tees made for our special day and my mom bought each of the boys a team hat with their individual adoption days inscribed on the side (Little Miss has a set waiting for her). Sweet Boy wasn't given his uniform until the official judgement, making that moment even more special!


Before the ceremony started, I stole a few minutes to tell my baby how proud I was to be his mom.


(Seriously cute - those dimples melt my heart!)


I may not have carried these babies in my belly, but my heart doesn't know the difference. I will never forget each moment the judge declared it in the best interest for them to forever be under my care.


Twenty-three people came alongside our family to cheer on our newly drafted member. What a gift each of them are and special thanks to my sweet friend, Casey, for helping us remember the day with pictures!

 
It is with so much joy that I introduce you to the sweetest boy I've ever met, our third born son - Francisco Jonathan Pinchback.


His new middle name honors the greatest spiritual influencer of our life and is profoundly appropriate as it means "Yahweh has Given".



God has entrusted this precious boy to our family and we will do our best to honor Him with our lives.

59 comments:

  1. Praise God! I have been following your story for a while and am so happy to hear of Francisco's adoption! What a sweet story of redemption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to check your blog before heading to bed. Thanking God for his care of you. I'll keep praying about Little Miss.
    Deb in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. praise God! What a wonderful testimony of God's love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. I've been checking the blog periodically this weekend, and am so happy to read this update!

    I think you've mentioned it before, but what is the birth order of the boys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we follow birth order! Tyrus was born in June 2009, LJ in August of 2009, and Cisco in November of 2009! They are all, currently, five years old :).

      Delete
    2. That's great!

      Every time I look at the photo of the three boys sitting together, it simultaneously brings a huge smile to my face and tears to my eyes.

      I hope that, soon, Little Miss will legally join Team Pinchback, too!

      Delete
  5. I've been following your blog for a while but never commented, and honestly never ever comment on blogs. But I had to comment now and say all the best to all of you! What a beautiful family! You are truly an amazing woman and it's a privilege to read your posts! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weeping with joy. :) So thrilled. Love your family's story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!!! God is so good! I'm so happy for your entire family! I love the shirts and hats :) Your boys are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet, sweet group of boys! Pictures of them remind me of all the reasons why I wanted a passel of sons. (So, of course, I was given a single daughter. But I wouldn't trade her for anything!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I am bawling!!! I am so so happy to finally read this story!! I thought of you guys all weekend & I am so glad this day finally came. I still pray for the day we can read about Little Miss officially becoming a Pinchback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praising the Lord! "And oh as you run, what hindered love will only become part of the story..." (Out of Hiding - Gretzinger)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As you may remember, I've been following your blog since before Ty. I read this post with many tears--what a beautiful story of love and redemption. So thrilled for the treasures God has placed in your family.
    Psalm 113:9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenna, I remember! Your blog was among the very first I found and brought me so much encouragement during our wait for Ty! Thank you for continuing on this journey with us. It is a greater adventure than I ever dreamed.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! What a beautiful summary of a special day. The God who redeems!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! YAY! YAY!
    this totally brightened my day! so happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. God is so good!! So happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful! I've followed for a really long time through this journey and although my arms are still empty, I find peace in your story. Hope is always alive! I adore your family. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praise the Lord! What a joyful day and joyful family!!! Tears flowing for your faithful hearts and immense love.

    Susan in Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so excited to read your post--I was in tears before I got to the second paragraph. Beautiful, beautiful day, and even more beautiful family! Many blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome. I so enjoy reading about your family. Yall are an inspiration. Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL, beautiful post and family you have!!! I am overjoyed for you all, and absolutely LOVE this post!! Congratulations!! Such a cute idea with the shirts and hats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful day. And how special you made it for Francisco and your whole family. Someday I may be stealing all of these ideas if I get the great joy of adopting a child of my own. Many prayers for your family because this journey is far from over!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the smiles on those sweet faces--especially Francisco's on his very important/special day. GOD is able to do immeasurably more!

    Kathy Lang

    ReplyDelete
  22. This made me cry! What beautiful pictures- so happy for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is the sweetest, most thoughtful and meaningful court date ever! It is a joy to watch you love out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I teared up remembering our own Finalization Day last fall. Congratulations to all of you!!!!! Your family is just stunningly lovely and I am so deeply happy that Francisco is forever Team Pinchback.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations!! WOW he is precious!! So happy we can get to know Francisco now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tears in my eyes! So happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. SO HAPPY for your family! xoxo from Marie in Downers Grove IL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous family with wonderful hearts. The sensitivity, patience, kindness, and love you have shown these children is wonderful. Parenthood, whether by childbirth, adoption, or marriage, is so fulfilling, and giving a child lifelong permanence is something that can't ever be replaced.

    648 days seems like such a long time to a little guy, but today he celebrates day one of forever.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my!! I am at work crying such tears of joy for your family!!! I can't wait for a day where Little Miss gets her hat and shirt too. Remember, God is good all the time!!

    Amy B

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have been reading your blog for a long, long time. SO SO happy for Team Pinchback!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness, I am crying with tears of joy for you!! We adopted my daughter at birth and will be adopting our son from foster care this summer! If you don't mind sharing, I am curioud ...did you make your shirts online? I love them and this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I made them through CustomInk online. They have great products and designing is easy!! The boys thought the "team" idea was really cool. I'm so glad we did it! My mom bought the hats at the Lids store in the mall. They were a surprise to all of us!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations! Adoption is such a beautiful thing. What a lovely day. And you gave Ty and LJ the wonderful gift of a brother. Will be praying for Little Miss.

      Delete
  32. Woohoot! I'm am over-the-top excited for your family. I don't read your blog articles every time, but when I do I LOVE them. I'm thrilled that I took time today to read it and see your news. GOTCHA Day! I'm familiar with those. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I cried my way through reading this. Total tears of joy. What a beautiful family God has given you.
    kd

    ReplyDelete
  34. Eeeeeekkkk! I love this! Oh, my heart is swelling for you! We have three of our own right now, but we're considering fostering (possibly adopting???) once ours are a little older. I love this story of God's redeming love!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Praise the Lord! Many of us who don't know you are sharing in your happy day! So happy for Sweet boy. Now will keep praying for Little Miss. May God continue to bless you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so excited and weepy as I read this. I have been reading this story that God is writing. Your honesty is so refreshing. I am waiting to be matched and the wait is so incredibly hard. I am begging the Lord to act and to help me to be obedient to whatever HE says. Thanks for sharing.
    Susie
    (zoosanders@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be patient...God writes the best stories!!

      Never never never give up.
      Winston Churchill

      Delete
    2. ok... i will be patient :)
      and i won't give up :)

      Delete
  37. How exciting! Congratulations to you all. Foster to adopt isn't an easy road, but it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your blog. You're an amazing writer. I recently became a foster mom and find inspiration every time I visit your blog. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations! I've been reading your blog for quite a while now, and I just had to come out of lurking to say that I'm so happy for all of you. We brought our daughter home from China last August and will be re-adopting her [our state's formality] next Tuesday. <3

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wiping away tears... and rejoicing with you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Praise be to God!! I've been following your blog since before Tyrus, and your story is such an incredible witness to God's love and redemption. We serve a mighty mighty God! Congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations to your beautiful family. I have followed your story from the beginning. You warm my heart with each of your post. God does beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Precious pictures! Congrats to your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hm, my first comment must have disappeared into the ether. I am so happy that Francisco is finally PINCHBACK! Praying Little Miss is sooner, rather than later. I love you guys! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is absolutely beautiful! I am overjoyed for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fantastically perfect. So happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congratulations! <3 What a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Tears in my EYES - LOVE THIS!!!
    Congratulations to you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the shirts! Love the hats with the dates. Even more I love this post. Had tears flowing knowing it was a journey getting there for all of you. Praise God for this happy ending. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete