Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 330

A big thank you to my sweet friend, Kari, for suggesting I add a fundraiser link to my sidebar. The thought never really crossed my mind that friends and family might want to help us, financially, bring baby boy home. It's humbling for sure. I hate asking for money. A few weeks ago I asked Ben if we should do a fundraiser (the only thing I could come up with was bowling!), but we both agreed that it would probably be more work than it was worth (by the time you pay the alley) and everyone seems to be stretched to the max right now, in these hard times.

I'm not completely freaking out about the additional $8000 that we need to pay the new agency by June 1st and I think it's because I have a pretty laid back attitude when it comes to money. I mean it is just money after all. I feel that we've been good stewards and are as disciplined as they come...what else can you do? In the end, if we have to put all $8000 on a credit card then that's what we'll do. I'm not going to let anything stand between me and my son.

All that to say....if you would like to help us, there's a link on the sidebar you can use. All money is securely filtered through Paypal. Please don't feel pressured. I expect nothing and know so many of you are in the same shoes we are. I'm simply providing an outlet if you're able/feel led.

We would really covet your prayers in this matter as we try to cover all our expenses. The $8000 is for the adoption only and doesn't cover our travel or my maternity leave (I decided to take a full three months). We did submit an application for the Shaohannah's Hope adoption grant. I asked for $8000, but I know their general contribution amount is about $3000. I also know that they are only able to help 30% of those that apply.

It's all good. I know that God will make a way. I used to sing a song when I was a little girl....

God will make a way,
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to his side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way...He will make a way.

I'm crying as I type. This process has ripped my faith from me and this sweet song reminds me how passionately I've pursued the Father through my lifetime...It reminds me of just how BIG our God is and the miracles I've experienced in him.

I grew up a pastor's kid and money was never in excess. I can remember numerous occasions when God showed up in a very BIG way for our family. One time we were visiting a church that my dad was guest speaking at. At the close of the service, a love offering was taken, to bless our family. There was a set of keys in the basket with a note attached (something to the effect of "Please see me after service.") As the story unfolds, the Lord spoke to a man in the congregation during my dad's preaching. He was asked to give our family his van. Yes, van as in vehicle. See, our family of five had been driving around in this beater of a car and my mom was pregnant with baby number four. You'll have to bear with my memory because I was only 7 or 8 at the time...I don't know if my parents were praying/hoping for a van or even thinking about it at all. I just remember driving home and thinking, "God knew what we needed and just like that he gave it to us? And we didn't have to do anything?" It forever rooted my faith.

I didn't plan to go this route with this post...but maybe God is reminding me to return to those childhood roots....asking me to trust him. He knew what my family needed then and he knows what my family needs now.

Thank you, Father, for being so good. Thank you for loving me through my faithlessness and continuously reminding me of your provision. I trust you with my life...and Ben's life...Baby Boy's life...and Rebekah's life. I trust you, alone.

________________________________

Edit: $165.00 has been raised so far, my ticker won't update for another couple of days because I'm waiting for our bank information to be verified. Once it's all set, the ticker will update automatically.


16 comments:

  1. Hey- I was happy to chip in, only if it was just a little bit! I have been there with the fundraising and so many people blessed us with donations for trying to come up with money for our adoption / surrogacy.

    One idea we had that might be less than the cost of renting the place for the bowling, was to have a Wii tournament for couples. You could have several couples sign up to compete against each other in 4 or 5 events and pay an "entry" fee of $25 per couple or what ever you want. You could have snacks etc. for munching on durin play time and it would be so fun! Just an idea for you... if I lived closer I would come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah,
    With our second adoption, we used one of those credit card check options. We were sent a couple of checks by our credit card for no interest for some time and then very low interest after that. We put a few thousand of baby girl's fees on there and felt at peace about it. We knew that God wanted us to bring her home, that she was ours, and that this was the means to do it. He has provided for us to pay that off and I'd do it again if need be.
    It's really a shame it all has to cost so much! Yours sounds to be on the higher end of the expense spectrum but, I know the Lord will provide!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When God shows up like that (with the van) it does so much to strengthen our faith. Looking back now at all they went through I am sure your parents would do it all over again if they knew that that moment would be the one that secured your Faith in God.

    I think that posting the donation link on your side bar is a great idea. If people want to help they can with out feeling weird about offending you guys by asking if they can help. We should all come together in times like these to see God's will be accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think your contribution "clicker" is clicking...

    :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrienne is another mama waiting to adopt, and she just had a gold party where everyone donates their old gold and the money goes to the adoption fund. She made a pretty good amount for her first party, and it might be worth checking out. I don't know who she went through, but her blog is: http://our-journey-to-parenthood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be honored to donate. I would love to see the progress on your page but it isnt showing up yet and I donated. I think my parents are going to donate too. In no time at all you will have your precious baby boy and it will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never fail to bring me to tears Rebekah ~ this is beautiful and such a wonderful idea. :) My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful idea. I wish you and Ben all of the best in your fundraiser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another idea is having a raffle for items that people would donate to you. I have an etsy shop, and I'd be thrilled to let you pick an item from my shop and sell tickets to win it! I'm sure there are lots of other shops that'd love to help too! Let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there Rebekah and Ben!

    My name is Debbie and I am Becky's Mom. I guess I am better known as Grammie to the kids. :-)
    I wanted both of you to know that I have just totally fallen in love with you as the parents of your "baby boy".
    My prayers are here for you as I love your precious baby as he grows in my daughters tummy. So sweet. Because I get to hug my daughter often that means I get to love on your little one too. Love to love him!
    I hope that I can be in contact with you as you journey toward bringing your little bundle home soon.
    Sending both of you my love and hugs also!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. Best of luck with your fundraising. I feel the same way you do about it. How awesome is it that the Lord provides??

    We have a credit card/line of credit to help finance our adoption. I joked, "we should have tried to get a mileage card!" It's kind of the gallows humor kind of thing :-O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fundraising is a great idea, I think!

    I'm a pastor's wife (my husband was a PK) so we definitely know how hard it is to get by living month-to-month. *HUGS* God won't let a few measly dollars get in the way of getting your son!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i saw someone else already suggested it but i was also considering doing a raffle type thing! isnt it so godd to know that God will provide?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rebekah, I stumbled across your blog and I'm so glad I did! I have read your previous posts about your adoption journey and have wept because I have been there dear sister~ God will provide every cent of what you need~my little one is a living testimony of the goodness of God's people! We adopted domestically in March 08. We have a lot in common also (I'm a pk so I know all about God meeting financial needs of my family)Look forward to following you on your journey! Stop by anytime to see our little blessing.
    Grace & Peace

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm happy to chip in- wish it could be more.

    I'm so happy to hear that you applied for a Shaohannah's Hope Grant. That's such a neat organization!!

    I'm praying for you and Ben, Rebekah and Baby Boy. I'm praying for God to provide the $$ you need in order to adopt this precious baby!!

    I love the song you learned as a little girl. I didn't learn it until I was an adult. It is in the cantata "God With Us." I remember using the words "You [God}
    will make a way were there seems to be no way" in a prayer that I prayed for a friend and his family right after I learned that his 35 year old brother had been killed in an accident. Then we sang it together. Thanks for remimding me of that song. I'd almost forgotten about it, and now I can sing it in my own tough times.

    Hugs for you, sweet Rebekah.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love following your story. Your faith in God through this up and down journey is inspiring. The expenses related to adopting can be very sobering but somehow can WILL make a way. He always does!

    ReplyDelete