Thursday, March 17, 2016

Adoption Day - 05


Driving to the courthouse was, understandably, familiar and stirred quiet reflection in our hearts. Ben held my hand and asked if I remembered our first adoption agency visit. We walked out deflated. It felt like we were never going to be parents. That was eight years ago.

It's almost too much to take in. The pain and adventure of the last several years have rooted two truths into our deepest places - 1) God redeems all things; 2) Marrying each other was the most significant life decision we made (second only to salvation). Nearly every day, Ben lays his head in my lap and says, "I couldn't do this with anyone else."

Our dating relationship wasn't remarkable. It looked pretty similar to everyone else around us. I would like to say, I had some divine revelation that Ben was the one for me or that I had wisdom beyond my time when I walked the aisle at 20. Sure, I was crazy about him and I knew he loved Jesus, but I had no idea the magnitude of treasure buried under his heart's surface. It wasn't until we hit hardship, years into marriage, that I discovered what a gift God gave me.

Nothing about our life, today, is ordinary, and I am grateful every day to be married to a man who says yes to our Father - even when he wants to say no.

I don't know what the next chapters hold, but we are settled in the closing of this one. There was something affirming, knowing this was our last adoption. Something fresh in the possibilities ahead and rich in the experiences behind.

The judge allowed everyone present an opportunity to share the meaning of the day. When I looked across the sea of faces, I was moved by the love and tears woven into all the words spoken. Days like today aren't specific to our team of seven. They inspire a greater community and encompass the many, many people who walk beside us, every day.


The presiding judge noted how difficult the morning had been and the joy she found in the goodness of such an event.


We had the opportunity to also meet the judge that was on our last three foster/adoption cases over the past two years. He hugged me tight and said in fourteen years of service he had never been able to keep three siblings together. He was, genuinely, grateful and found peace in meeting all three kids that until, today, were only a number in a file.


A friend noted how normal adoption has become over the last several years and that it's not until she talks to people outside our influence that she recognizes the gripping qualities of fear. Sadly, it's instinctive and limits the lives of most.

I am so thankful for God's gentle pressing and every yes along the way. From Rebekah's doorstep to each previous foster family to my growing interactions with Sweet Mama. Each relationship gives me glimpses into the true heart of God.


It is a great privilege to introduce you to the newest member of our team.

Hunter Samuel


True to our conviction, we kept Hunter's first name, but chose Samuel for his middle name because Samuel is my absolute favorite person in the Bible. Not only did the desperate prayers of his mother mirror my heart at one time, but I am hopeful that all of my children will grow in the presence of God and be quick to respond to his voice.


I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord for his whole life.

Samuel 1:27-28

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations Pinchbacks! And congratulations to Hunter. Definitely a time to celebrate. So so happy for you. I have been following you since Rebekah was pregnant with Ty. I love your beautiful family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this verse as a tattoo. We stopped at 2. Way to go girl! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Love his name! God is good! Many blessings, much love, health and happiness to your amazing family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Hunter! and Family! You are a beautiful family and a true testimony of redemption and God's love! You are one of my most favorite blogs to read, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Hi, Hunter Samuel! Pleased to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hunter! You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day -- thank you for sharing the pictures, the sotry, and the newest Pinchback's name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for always sharing your heart with us. We are in the process of our 2nd foster care adoption, a sibling group of three. Reading your blog has given me so much hope. It helps immensely to "know" families who are on the same path as we are. Praying that God gives all of you an easy transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! Saying yes to God is brutiful...brutal and beautiful. But always, His grace is sufficient. He is writing a beautiful story with your obedient hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. So happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been following your blog for years and these pictures bring the biggest smile to my face!! What a beautifully blessed family!!! :) Those sweet angel, all 5 of them, are so lucky that God put them in your lives!! AMAZING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankful! Your family will continue to be in my prayers. What a blessing to be able to give our children to the Lord. In difficult times as they get older, it has been a comfort to remind the Lord, they are His. Xo

    I want to share a prayer I have prayed many times over my children .
    "Let our sons in their youth be as grownup plants, and our daughters as corner pillars fashioned as for a palace.... How blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!" Psalm 144:12,15

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, I love your blog, Rebekah. It's brought me a lot of joy to see how you've formed your family and the courage it's taken to jump off a cliff into the unknown for you time after time. The Pinchback Five are lucky to have you (and vice versa!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Pinchback family! I am glad that Hunter's adoption is final and your family is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your beautiful, now complete, family! God is SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "God redeems all things!" Yes, He certainly does! So beautiful. Congratulations!
    Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have the most gorgeous family. Cutie patooties! I am so happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many many prayers are behind you, and many more are coming.

    Coming from a girl from a relatively large family (by today's standards, let me tell you that giving your children siblings is the one of the best gifts you could give... it's right up there with the gifts of life and faith!

    Congrats! I love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love reading the amazing news of your 5th (and final) adoption! Your family is beautiful in every way. God is great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! Beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! I'm so happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in love with this beautiful family of yours! Gorgeous children, amazing parents! So happy for you, CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! I am so happy for you all!!!! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete