Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We Remember!

I was challenged, yesterday, when I heard KLOVE (radio) ask what we were doing to remember our everyday heroes, in honor of those that lost lives on 9/11. A mom called in and said her family was taking fresh baked cookies to their local police station. The boys and I jumped to action and ran to the store for necessary items. We spent the night dipping oreos, pretzels, strawberries, and blueberries in both milk and dark chocolate. Because the boys are enamored by firemen, right now, we chose to make our goodies for our local station.



When I picked the boys up from preschool, they were ecstatic. We didn't talk about September 11th, but we did talk about what a tremendous sacrifice our local heroes make for us and the thanksgiving in our hearts for all they do.

I explained that today is Patriot day and that we made goodies to honor our firemen and to thank them for keeping us safe.

I think the boys expected the firefighters to greet them in full gear, but once the "trucks" were mentioned, the boys were all ears. We handed over our treats and on cue, Ty said, "We want to thank you for keeping us safe." It was crazy cute.

I could tell the men were tickled to have so much three year old attention. They spent an hour with us, touring the station and every vehicle (even though once you've seen one...). The boys asked dozens of questions and were completely enchanted by the experience.





It was a great way to spend the day remembering.





13 comments:

  1. Awesome idea!!! I will have to remember that for next year:) Such great Picts your boys are so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just tell you...PLEASE post more often!! Reading your blog is like reading a wonderful book...but I LOVE the fact that it KEEPS GOING!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely and respectful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. What a special way to remember 9/11. I will be keeping this on file in my memory for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest ever! My fav picture is in front of the fire truck... they are so tiny. You have beautiful boys Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! And such cute pictures :) Your boys are adorable!

    Anne
    www.allaboutelizabeth-anne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea...next year! Great lesson for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to show the kids. You're amazing! and your boys are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Your boys are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job. The boys will remember that experience a very long time and the firemen will appreciate the tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy reading your blog and appreciate you remebering your local firefighters because they get over looked so often. My husband is a firefighter and they don't get the respect they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's so funny - we did the same thing :)

    I've been reading your blog off and on since before you brought Ty home. :)

    ReplyDelete